Sight reading

My son is 4 years old. There is plenty of evidence that teaching sight reading to children with DS is not only possible, but a really great idea. The Down Syndrome Ed website provides all the research on the subject (plus tutorials and materials for their See and Learn method). Bottom line, we really wanted to do this. We first tried using cards, but my son didn't have the patience and I wasn't determined enough (it was at least a year ago). We also tried "Your baby can read" videos. We used the videos for about a year on and off, and he started to recognize some words, but it wasn't clear how to move from words to sentences. We also bought the See and Learn app for iPad and, although I liked it, we only used it sporadically. Basically, we were interested, but couldn't apply ourselves.

Last month, I was reading Down Syndrome Parenting 101: Must-have advice for making your life easier, by Natalie Hale. I've been reading so many parenting and DS books during the last 3 years that they all kind of blend together in my head. But I'm still looking for the ultimate advice, so I keep on reading. I'm usually happy if, after I finish a book, I still remember one good idea.  What stuck with me from this book was the idea that children with DS entering kindergarten knowing to read are less likely to be underestimated by the school, more likely to receive an inclusive placement, and in general perceived as more capable learners. Obviously, this is incredible unfair, but I completely believe it to be true.

Well, now I have my deadline. I love deadlines!!! 

So, we got serious about sight reading. I mentioned before that both my son and I are addicted to the iPad, so using the See and Learn app seemed the most natural choice. We've been doing "homework" every day for the past two weeks. It is not the most exciting thing one can do with the iPad, and my son knows that very well. It is also kind of boring, looking at the same words over and over again. But it works!! My son now recognizes at least 8 words. I'm going to start putting together small books using these words to make it more interesting for him. We'll definitely continue with this!

No comments:

Post a Comment