Math - Practice number recognition

We had a lot of success with reading. I am a believer in the Match/Select/Name sight reading strategy taught by Learning Program of Down Syndrome Foundation of Orange County. We started teaching reading fairly early. I have talked about our experience here and here. My son is a good reading decoder and is currently working hard on reading comprehension.

That leaves me looking for math strategies that work. And it's not that simple. Math is hard for my son and for many kids like him. So, I'm starting a series of math posts with activities that I like and that worked for us.

Number recognition basically means that the kid recognizes the number and associates the number symbol ("2") with its name ("two"). It is related to counting, but it's not the same thing.

One of the most effective way of working on number recognition is to point out numbers anywhere you see them (books, clocks, microwave, house numbers, bus numbers etc.). In addition, here is one number recognition activity, that I think it's very effective.

Number hunt activity using a number chart
Start with a 100 number chart. Laminate the chart or place it in a sheet protector. Use any sticker that fits over one number. Say a number and ask the child to place the sticker over the number. Repeat. We usually take turns. I say a number, my son finds it on the number chart. Then he says a number, I hunt for it. The advantage is that I can model the activity frequently, without being more annoying than necessary. It really is very simple.





 

Materials needed:
  • number chart. Can print a letter size one ( can find lots online, or generate your own) or can by a larger one. I have both. I used a very cheep large number chart, but then I payed a small fortune to have it laminated (couldn't' do it home because of the non-standard size). I suggest you get a laminated one, for instance this one. You'll get a lot of use out of it.
  • dots - I like these a lot, but any sticker should work. Use blank ones if you want to extend the activity to practice writing numbers. 
  • laminator - optional, but highly recommended. I bought one almost as soon as my son was born and I never looked back. My house is full of random laminator materials. 
  • paper protectors if you don't use a laminator. 
  • marker for writing numbers
Adaptations: 
  • if your child is working on a smaller set of numbers, cut the number chart to fit your needs
  • take turns to make it into a game 
Double dipping: you can expand the activity to work on multiple skills. Only expand after the child has learn to do the main activity. In general, work on one thing only until becomes an aquired skill, then combine activities to maintain what was learned.
  • count starting from that number
  • after hunting several numbers, go back and write the missing number on the dot. If you plan on doing this, make sure the sticker covers the number well. If necessary stack two stickers on top of the number
  • place the chart on a vertical surface (example: fridge, wall) and make it more physical

No comments:

Post a Comment