Virgin coconut oil truffles

3 tablespoons virgin coconut oil (VCO)
1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder 
1 tablespoon honey
optional - ground walnuts, coconut flakes, date paste

Melt the VCO to liquid. Mix everything together. Spoon small portions. Store in the fridge. 

I have been considering for years adding more VCO to my diet. It's supposed to be some kind of miracle food. Unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of the flavor, so it just seemed too complicated. Well, I've found out that VCO is really good for people with Down syndrome (regulates thyroid function, helps digestion and promotes weight loss). Now I have a really good reason to try it. I've bought some VCO from Trader Joe's and added a teaspoon to my son's meal at dinner. He wasn't enthusiastic (sometimes you can really tell he enjoys his meal), but he ate it, so I was happy. I think he thought this was a one time thing and mommy was entitled to one culinary mistake. By the second day, he took a bite, pushed the plate away and said "mama, bread, cheese". He signed too, so this was serious. Every time I tried after that, I got a similar reaction. I went back online to look for some ideas and I've found the VCO truffles recipe. By the way, the original recipe asks for 3 tablespoons of cocoa, but it seemed unnecessary for my purpose. Well, I've made the truffles and my son eats 2 every morning (it's been around 10 days now). I'm also eating 2 or 3 in the morning and they've replaced my breakfast - they are very filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment