Xylitol for sinus infection

My son had 3 sinus infections in 3 years and a half. Maybe not bad, but to me this is 3 times too many. Not to mentioned that last time it was so bad, he was on antibiotics for 20 days. A week ago it seemed that another sinus infection was coming. The signs were pretty clear - thick, greenish discharge, mouth breathing, night discomfort. I remembered one of the posts from Got Down Syndrome blog, about making a nasal spray for sinus infection.

The instruction was "For 2/3 cup of saline you would put 150mg of Glutathione (either liquid or opened capsules) and 1/4 teaspoon Xylitol (optional). Spray this up the nose as often as you would like!". Never use tap water! I use boiled water. Distilled water should work too. I started researching Glutathione, but I wasn't comfortable using it. Plus you have to buy 50 pills to use one (and is not cheap). But I am more than comfortable using Xylitol, so I did that. I bought Little noses salines spray (just too lazy to make one myself) and added 2 teaspoons of Xylitol (here is the recipe). We used it 4 times a day during the weekend and twice a day on weekdays. My son didn't like it, but it worked great. By the fourth day it was clear we managed to avoid the antibiotics this time. I'm pretty sure it was the Xylitol, but it may be that the infection was not that strong to begin with. We'll see what happens next time.  The reason why Xylitol works is because bacteria can't metabolize it due to its unique carbon structure. Apparently, this kills the bacteria. I feel compelled to mention that I'm in no way qualified to give medical advice, so, obviously, I don't.

Update: we are now using XLEAR Natural Saline Nasal Spray with Xylitol. Ready to use and works great.

1 comment:

  1. I really like your blog. You have a sense of humor and very informative article. Thank you for sharing. Keep up the good work.

    Cara
    www.gofastek.com

    ReplyDelete