Down syndrome IEP - 3 years old

When my son was 3 years old and transitioned from early intervention to public school, I've searched the internet for some guidelines on how his first IEP should look like. I was lucky to see the IEP of a couple of friends (with children with DS) and get an idea. Obviously, as the name says, the IEP is a highly individualized document, each child has different needs. This is merely to give you an idea how it might look. The IEP is a long, detailed document - here are some selected sections. I have edited out my son's name and replaced it with "the student". Hopefully, that doesn't sound too weird...
You will notice there are no academic goals and normally there should be. However, my son has an out-of-district placement in a full time, fully inclusive private preschool, as opposed to the silly, 3 hours a day / 3 days a week program available in our district. Per our agreement, the public school is responsible for my son's therapy, but not for his academic development. However, you can get an idea of how academic goals might look like for a 3 years old by looking at our parental input to the IEP linked below.

Agreed upon Service Delivery
Speech Therapy - 2x30min/week
Physical Therapy - 2x30min/week
Occupational Therapy - 2x45min/week

Before the IEP we sent the team our parental concerns. This is a practice we intend to keep. Letting the team know before the meeting what are our concerns and expectations. Usually two weeks after the meeting we receive the first IEP draft. If we have any comments, we send them in writing and wait for a new draft. If not we accept and sign the IEP.

For details see:

I'm putting a lot of thought/effort/time into my communication with the team, especially during the IEP season. In fact, I think that spending time getting the plan right it's saving me a lot of time during the school year. There are a couple of books that I found particularly useful during this process.

  • Wrightslaw: All About IEPs - pretty much the IEP bible; an incredible useful book, especially if you are just starting this journey. Good to have it as a reference too, because the issues and questions change every year.  
  • Wrightslaw: From Emotions to Advocacy - The Special Education Survival Guide - one thing we need to understand as parents is that the special education process is driven by data and not by emotion. It is not about the perfect plan, it is not about the best outcome, it is not about reaching the maximum potential. It is about about fair and appropriate services. I think this book does a good job in helping parents understand the difference. 
  • Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In - amazing book, that I've read several times. Related to how to negotiate without emotion. Putting yourself in the other person shoes and finding the best outcome for everybody. Works in every aspect of our lives. Gives you power and keeps the process  non confrontational.


3 comments:

  1. This blog is great. You have done an amazing job. It has truly been an inspiration to us to do a much more through job with communication for our son's IEP (also, 5 with DS).

    When do you think you will post the Kindergarten IEP?

    feel free to email me at mrchheda@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I'm so glad you found this useful!
      We've just had our IEP meeting, I haven't seen the first draft yet. I expect to post the new IEP in about 6 weeks.

      Delete
  2. So glad I just stumbled upon this! Scheduling our first One soon, daughter with DS is 2 1/2!

    ReplyDelete